I am wondering if any others of you have lost faith in the medical system as i have done. My GP surgery are constantly misdiagnosing me. They never know what is wrong and so just pump me full of any old drug.
When i was 22 my life crashed at my feet. I was ill, had to drop out of uni and move back in with my parents. This was also the week my fiancee chose to leave me amongst other things. I was a wreck. I couldn't sleep, eat, i had no drive to wash or go out. Life had no joy. So i chose to speak to my GP about seeing someone for counseling. Someone i could talk through my feelings and help me work out where i should be pointing. However The GP i saw Dr Ryan advised me that antidepressants would help me better than a councilor. I advised her i didn't need medication i just needed to talk to someone. She advised me that she had referred me to a councilor who would contact me. In all fairness she did do this. However i heard nothing from them for 2 yrs and by this time i was on the mend. Dr Ryan eventually wore me down to take antidepressants and they worked for 3 weeks i started to feel alive again. After 3 months of taking them i started to feel they were having a negative effect on me and asked her about it. She said it was too soon to stop taking them. Now i was naughty, as I'm stubborn. I wanted to test that theory. I stopped taking them for a week and the change in me was truly remarkable and on my next visit i told her all was well and i no longer needed them. To which she said no give it 3 more months at which i replied i haven't been taking them for the last month and i am back to my old self again and i was, my only issue being insomnia.
I wish i could say that this was the only Innocent but since then i have suffered from server abdominal pains that i was treated for, for 2 years and was referred to a physiotherapist as it had to all be in my mind. I was so angry that the next time i got the pain i got my mother to take me to A & E for testing. They concluded i had a urine infection and prescribed me antibiotics. Before i left i asked the doctor to write me a list of things that may cause this infection and i went away with my list. One by one i eliminated a cause until i concluded it was all due to dehydration and you know what i made sure i drank lots of water everyday and the pain went. If it comes back all i do is drink water and it goes away. This was the condition that got me to drop out of uni!
Next thing i was plagued with were migraines. I suffered for 2 years. I was put on every migraine medication you can imagine. I had to cut out every type of food, i had to record everything i did and ate for a possible trigger, i had cat scans and ECG and was put back on sleeping tablets. It was horrid. The medication alone made me put on 2 stone and due to the amount of sick leave i was having nearly lost me my job. Now I was performing in a Shakespeare play at this time and during show week was talking to the make up artist about it. She happened to be an osteopath and gave me a massage, the pains went instantly. So at once i found my own osteopathy and started going for regular treatments. Migraines don't haunt me anymore as i get my neck done every six months and all is well again. Turns out the migraine's were being caused from a car accident i had had 2 yrs prior to the migraines and the injury in my neck was causing tension and eventually migraines. Funny because i reported that car accident to the GP at the time and they passed it off as mild whiplash?!!
Now my most recent Innocent. I lost my voice and for an actor that is the last thing you need. I was diagnosed with laryngitis and told to rest for 3 weeks. However I was still in pain after the three weeks and booked an appointment. I had to see another doctor though as the previous one was on holiday. It was DR Ryan who prescribed me the antibiotics (that made me ill) nasal spray (that aggravated my condition) and throat gargle ( which numbed my throat , and aggravated my condition) i went back after a week to see the original doctor. Who advised everything prescribed was totally and utterly wrong and that i should rest. I rested from July to October. I turned down acting jobs, took myself off my website and was getting very low indeed. I went back and fought to be refereed to a specialist, as advised by the national voice association. The appointment was Dec16th. I received the letter in the start of October. Yeah, I know. I was just looking to go private when i paid a viste to my osteopath. I mentioned it to her and she immediately got to work at the neck. I woke up the next day and the pain had gone. Turns out the muscles sounding my laryings were swollen and pushing down on them causing the pain. So again My GPs had waisted me time and money.
I went to the doctors today as i have pain in my ear and I'm dizzy and being sick. I was rushed through and examination as they were running late to be told they don't know what it is. Probably a virus and all i can do is rest. I am sorry to GP's but the ones at New House Surgery, Dorking just seem to have no clue and can not help me. If you read this and have your own story's please comment as i need to know it is not just me that feels the doctors are not helping just guessing at what is wrong and the best way to treat oneself is to research the symptoms and try your own methods.
Rant Over!

No comments:
Post a Comment